Home to exceptional vineyards, world-class restaurants, classic jazz festivals and special events throughout the year, the charming community of Cape May, New Jersey has long been a popular destination with tourists and locals alike. But did you know it’s also an incredibly kid-friendly retreat? With loads of family activities and pristine stretches of sandy beaches, there is a wealth of reasons to pack up the family and head to Cape May.
Our team at Wilsey Realty has put together some of our favorite family-friendly attractions in this list of 10 things to do with your kids in Cape May. From visiting the zoo to climbing to the top of the lighthouse, we think you’ll find Cape May has a lot to offer your family. We hope you enjoy!
Cape May Kids Activities
- Fun at the Beach: Thankfully, Cape May was spared from Hurricane Sandy and we’ve got five main beaches to give you more than 24 access points to enjoy. Cape May is actually famous for an unusual stone that washes up on its shores. No, they’re not real diamonds, we just call them “Cape May’s Diamonds” – a smooth quartz stone. The kids will love finding these treasures. Sunset Beach is widely known for having an abundance of diamonds!
- Visit the Nature Center: Located in Cape May Harbor, you’ll find an observation deck with panoramic views of the harbor, an aquaria with local marine life and natural history artifacts, monthly exhibits, a variety of programs, children’s hands-on activities, and a children’s garden. Learn more about the Nature Center on their website.
- Take a Trolley Ride: You’ll learn more about Cape May’s beautiful Victorian houses and charming local shops. The trolley will also point out cultural attractions, historic areas and beaches. It’s a great way to get the lay of the land.
- Tour a Victorian Museum: The Emlen Physick Estate is a beautifully restored Stick Style mansion. On Fridays they offer a family-friendly interactive tour, and one child is free with the purchase of each $10 adult ticket!
- Go to the Zoo: With more than 550 animals the Cape May County Zoo is a true gem in the community; and it’s free! Visit with giraffes and flamingos, just be sure to pack a lunch and take advantage of the many picnic areas.
- Climb to the Top of a Lighthouse: Located at Cape May State Park, there are 199 steps to the top of the lighthouse, built in 1859. Be sure to check the website for Family Fun Days at the Lighthouse for extra kid-friendly activities, performers, entertainment, arts and crafts, and more.
- Go Shopping: Ok, this one might be for the older kids. Explore the Washington Street Mall where you’ll find a number of quaint shops and local boutiques. You’ll find everything from beach-style home goods to custom blending your own lotions.
- Eat the Seafood: There are so many places to enjoy a wonderful seafood dinner while you’re in town. You might convince the kids to try the lobster at the Lobster House, where Taylor Swift reportedly ate during a recent visit.
- Go to a Carnival at Congress Hall: About a block from the beach, you’ll find Congress Hall. It offers free towels and lounge chairs and has a jam-packed lineup of family activities – from Monday-night carnivals with face painting to Zumba classes on the lawn.
- Relax: While you’re in Cape May, we encourage you to take the time to enjoy our beautiful community. Sit back and relax, stick your toes in the sand and enjoy the sunshine. We guarantee it will rejuvenate the whole family.
At Wilsey Realty, we love helping families find their dream home or vacation rentals to make their time in Cape May that much more enjoyable. Whether you’ve been dreaming of a vacation for months or have recently decided to make a permanent move to Cape May, let our team of real estate professionals be your guide. From Cape May NJ condos for sale to single-family homes along the water or elaborate estates, we can help you find it all.
We know Cape May like the back of our hand – we live, work and play within the areas we service. When you’re ready to take the next steps, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to earn your trust and lasting business. Connect today to get started!